Tuesday, February 4, 2014

You're not alone

I am 19 years old, just graduated last year from high school. I took some dual credit classes in high school and had the typical high school mindset;
"Without college I will not be successful"
So I applied to the community college and for financial aid. I got them both. Most people would say college was different from high school and that I would like it. I never really liked school but I thought I would still give college a chance. I wanted to major in business.
Now, when I got to my first classes, I was immediately turned off. This was high school for adults. I tried to still give it some time. I learned nothing that had to do with my major. To the point where I lost the drive to go to school at all. But I still went.
However, before I knew it I was looking into finding or making a decent job for myself. So I ended up cutting a decent deal with a landscaping company owned (not officially) and run by two brothers from Mexico that I happened to know. I door knock and promote them directly. They give me 20% of what the job is worth when I get it. Not bad. But I'm still not satisfied. I do think that the experience I have gained these past 2 months with this company is a very good perk. I'm getting better at selling and am making a few bucks.
Now this is just a temporary thing, I am currently looking for a more efficient way of making some income.

So do I think this beats school? For a business major yes. Everyone and their mother is majoring in business. I would understand if you want to be a chemist, engineer, or doctor. We need lots of those. But if you have a business major it doesn't make you any bigger in the pond. Not to mention the debt most college graduates accumulate over their college years. Then many people in todays economy can't find a job. In my opinion, experience beats school in the business world. So if you agree with me, you're not alone. But if you dont, feel free to disagree.

I will add more to the topic of the typical mindset high school graduates have today. We have been trained since we were kids to be good employees. But hardly ever good employers. But I will save that for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment